We are learning to read and reading to learn!
In our school we know that learning to read fluently with stamina and understanding is really important so that your child can be successful in their learning across the curriculum as well as develops a deep and genuine love of reading.
In order to ensure that your child is successful we believe that we need to work closely with you as parents/ carers.
- Every child takes part in a daily systematic, synthetic whole-class phonics session every day followed by activities to apply their knowledge
- Children are heard to read by an adult at least twice a week in Reception and Year One
- Children Practise their key words in whole class sessions as well as when they read with an adult. These area tested weekly, when children have passed they receive a certificate and will be given the next set to practise at home.
- Development of word-reading is fully balanced by the development of vocabulary, comprehension and a love of books
- There is an expectation that every session will involve an element of reading so that children are reading for purpose as well as pleasure several times a day
At home we expect:
- You to read with your child every day and to record this in their reading diary
- You to practise your child’s key words every day
Alongside phonics, the teaching and learning of key words (high frequency words) is an essential step in learning to read with fluency and stamina. In order to develop automaticity, key words are practised every day as part of the English session, furthermore we expect children to practise them every day when they read at home/ in school. There are 12 sets of key words initially and the children should be able to read these on sight, without having to sound them out, before they are given the next set. Once they are able to read all of these, children are asked to spell them correctly.
- Set 1 Key Words
- Set 10 Key Words
- Set 11 Key Words
- Set 12 Key Words
- Set 2 Key Words
- Set 3 Key Words
- Set 4 Key Words
- Set 5 Key Words
- Set 6 Key Words
- Set 7 Key Words
- Set 8 Key Words
- Set 9 Key Words